Halloween’s Coming! Black Cats, Bats, and…Beets?
Yes, beets have become a popular addition to cocktails in recent years. They help to create a visually stunning color and add a wonderful earthy flavor to cocktails – especially when a nice scotch is the base. (If you haven’t tried the Beetnik at The Dogwood Cocktail Cabin downtown, you’re missing out.)
Try this Twist on the classic flavors of the Penicillin cocktail – lemon, ginger, and Scotch – called the Cure All. It’s not only a perfect remedy for an atrociously long day, it’s also spooky enough to serve your friends on Halloween.
- 2 ounces beet juice (if you don’t have a juicer, you can get some fresh juice at your local health food store or juice bar – thanks, Mother’s Juice Cafe!)
- 3 ounces blended Scotch (such as Black Bottle)
- 1 1/2 ounces lemon juice, from two lemons
- 2 ounces Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
WHAT TO DO
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add beet juice, Scotch, lemon juice, and ginger liqueur. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds.
2. Strain evenly into two coupe or martini glasses and serve. Cheers!